Western Association of Schools & Colleges
The Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is one of six regional accrediting associations in the United States that visits public schools to confirm and affirm that a school is living up to it mission of offering an excellent education to students. All of us here at SHS are overjoyed with the response of the WASC Visiting Committee. We received SIX Major Commendations which verify that SHS is a Community of Excellence! We are very proud that our accomplishments as a school have been formally recognized by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Together we rejoice and celebrate!
For more information about WASC, visit their website: http://www.acswasc.org/
Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Seaside High School - Visiting Team Report
February 25th and 26th 2013
Final Report Commendations
- The school administration, faculty and staff have exemplified the concept of the 'turnaround school' by making continuous progress by increasing student achievement employing the philosophy, 'We need to meet the kids where they are and move them to where they are capable of going.'
- The school administration for empowering and enabling the teaching faculty to be leaders in curriculum design, Professional Learning Communities, design of the vision and mission of the school and utilizing the strengths of each person.
- The school administration, faculty and staff for embracing the concept of Professional Learning Communities in order to focus on what can be changed for student improvement and then making it happen.
- The school administration for making sure the campus is safe and secure as well as creating a Community of Excellence with all students being engaged with the bell to bell teaching model.
- The school administration, faculty and staff for utilizing an ethical grading system that provides opportunities for students to be successful through authentic assessments based on the belief that students have to make mistakes in order to learn
- The school administration for developing an effective discipline system that has increased positive student behavior, student responsibility and student engagement